Sparkling windows are loved by everyone. If you have clean, bright shiny windows, they can make an old house look new. Just like with everything in your house or garden, windows have a specific cleaning methodology, which you need to follow, to keep them looking clean and sparkling.
Having cleaned our own windows for years and nearly broken our necks several times with ladders, we have chosen a local window cleaning husband and wife team to do the job from now on. To be honest, they do a much better job than us and for £1 a window, I cannot believe we did not use them till now. If you are looking for a new Staindrop window cleaner or any of the villages around Cockfield, Evenwood or Ingleton, try Dan and Naomi at Pickard Family Window Cleaners.
7 tips to clean your windows
But if you are still doing your own, try these 7 extremely simple and easy to follow ideas to give your windows a marvellous shine, every time!
- Ensure that you dry your windows in one direction – leftwards or rightwards. Mixing the direction will leave unpleasant streaks on the glass and make it look untidy.
- Before you clean the window glass, make sure you wash all the dust and bird muck from the windows so that in applying a wet cloth, you do not leave muck on the window or streaks which look terrible from inside.
- If you are cleaning window sills, rub the whole surface with a damp cloth sprayed with alcohol so that all the spots will clear off for a beautiful shine.
- Windows are very sensitive to dirt. You should therefore apply only clean water in cleaning windows and in cases where you use damp cloth, use only clean cloths.
- If the glass is greasy or smoky, apply some vinegar to the water before you clean the window. Vinegar removes grease without leaving streaks or stains.
- When cleaning windows which are beyond the reach of you hand, use a step ladder if the height is medium or use a regular ladder if quite high. Always ensure that the safety clip is on and if possible, get some one to hold the base of the ladder for safety reasons.
- Sprays are convenient to use than buckets of water. In cleaning windows of considerable heights, try to use sprays instead of buckets of water as they can spill and you will have to do everything again. The sheer weight and burden will get you tired easily.
Getting a window to shine is an easy task. All you need is the above window cleaning tips.
Window Cleaning Supplies you might need
Window cleaning supplies is a business that anyone can enter with the advantage of having only a less start-up capital. Say, 200 to 300 pounds. Therefore, if you are planning to venture in this endeavour then it is advisable that you look for the best window cleaning supplies that you will use in your chosen scheme.
The basic for window cleaning supplies would be the squeegee, ladders, scraper, a washcloth, a brush, soap detergent and a bucket. If you already have these tools in the comfort of your home then it is good for you because starting-up costs will not be heavy in the pocket.
What is a squeegee?
The squeegee is the most important window cleaning supplies you can have . It comes in a variety of features. The most trusted brands when it comes to buying squeegees is window cleaning tools. The market now offers a wide range of squeegee products. Squeegees can be made out of lightweight alloy, brass, and steel. It is available in different size depending on its use. If you are a professional window cleaner that works in the commercial market place then you should buy large sizes squeegee. On the other hand, if you specialised in residential window cleaning then it will be good if you acquire a small window cleaning supplies squeegee, just enough to help you finish your job fast. Nowadays, squeegees have replaceable rubber blades and more easy-to-grip handles.
When to use ladders?
When the windows you are cleaning are located in the second or third floor of a house or building, the ladder is the conventional answer. Ladders obviously can help you reach hard-to-reach areas and surfaces. However, ladders these days are becoming very much obsolete due to the introduction of new HSSE laws in the United Kingdom. About 25 years ago, an alternative and improved system was created to help window cleaners remain within the law and provide a superior service for their customers. This improved window cleaning system helps window cleaners reach upper windows at the ground with ease and also leaves windows cleaner for longer. This new window cleaning system is called water-fed-poles.
Yet, if you are just beginning in this business it is good to have ladders first and if you have enough profits then it is advisable to acquire this one of a kind window cleaning tool from supplies.
Another one of the basic window cleaning supplies is the scraper. Scrapers are use to get rid of hard-to-get stains in your windows. It is commonly 4-6 inches in length but there are also mini scrapers that are available in the market and they measure about 1.5 inch in length.
What is a scrim?
The washcloth is essential window cleaning supplies because it is use as a wiper for excess water or detergent applied in the windows. Washcloth these days have this micro fibre characteristic that make it lint-free, which means that it reduces the accumulation of dirt in the cloth and the windows.
In choosing the right detergent to use you must consider the kind of glass the windows are made of. But if you only have limited financial resources, buy only a cheaper detergent with good quality. Do not use washing-up liquids, they are for dishes. One more tool to consider is the brush. Window cleaning brushes from supplies are use to eliminate stains, dirt and grime in your windows. It is made of synthetic materials like nylon, hog hair or polypropylene.
Finally, you have to have a bucket that you will employ in your window cleaning service. The modern buckets use is made of plastic for the convenience of users because they are usually lightweight.
Selecting the right window cleaning supplies is easy. You just have to plan what are the most important tools to buy to start-up your business. Do not worry if you clean windows in the conventional way. There are more rooms for improvement. Once income and profits starts to flow-in then it will be the time for you to buy more modern and sophisticated window cleaning supplies.